Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Blessings in disguise

This will be very short - school pick-up is in about 10 minutes.

I've decided to tack on to my last entry, but on the tangent of blessings in disguise. For instance. our ward RS is ending their monthly activity (a progressive e.g. travelling one) at our home tomorrow night. They'll gather here to eat desserts and chat before calling it a night.

This disguised blessings has prompted me to do some deep cleaning that I was in denial of (oh say, steam-cleaning carpets that have dirt & water marks from playing in the snow ... 3 months ago), re-arranging the decorations in my living room (Kirsten taught me to "shop my house", rather than spend more money), and begin the purging of junka-lunka that must be completed before the kids come home for summer. Somewhere along the way in running errands, I found a steal of a deal on a new comforter set for our master bedroom - I will confess we have the same set we received for our wedding 14 years ago. Oh the things we let slide ...

This disguised blessing repeats itself in varying forms whenever company is coming to stay from out-of-state, or when I host an event (bridal shower, etc). I am always thankful, for it truly kills two or more birds with the one proverbial stone, and leaves my home much more orderly, peaceful and clean.

On a side note, that deserves a big note, I think birthdays are blessings in disguise. Because of my friend Karin's birthday last week, I got to spend an awesome evening out with 10 gal pals that I just do not get to see enough of. Thanks for being the undercover agent and pulling off a superb surprise Girls Night Out, Michelle!

And for my last note, this blessing isn't so much a disguised one, as a sometimes forgotten one. I love the New Testament, particularly the original 4 gospels. I just finished re-reading Matthew through John - always the best pick-me-up and centering thing out there, to read the testimony of the original apostles, and read the words of Christ.

2 comments:

Angela said...

I love reading what you write. Keep it up. It was fun chatting with you yesterday.

Laura Standage said...

Amen to the guests-over-house-gets-cleaned blessing! Otherwise I never deep-clean (too overwhelming to think of). Love you lots!