Friday, January 14, 2011

Name them one by one ...

I was feeling pretty blue this morning when I woke up - too much to do, too little time, wah wah, woe is me. As I drove about on errands during the morning, I found my eyes directed to observe the plight of others, and realize how blessed I am, how thankful they would be for many blessings I take for granted. So, I'm a'countin'!

1. A heated car with a full tank of gas. I can go where I want/need to, when I want/need to, in comfort, and with music even.
2. My kids' minds and bodies are healthy and whole.
3. Health insurance - we have great doctors (and nurses who know us!) who almost always can squeeze us in when we need them. We may have a co-pay & deductible, but it's small potatoes compared to a full bill.
4. 24-hour pharmacies.
5. Kind drivers who let me into their lane rather than gunning it to block me out.
6. Mr. Mullini standing in the freezing cold to direct drop-off traffic at our school, all week long! He always has a kind smile for every child who walks by.
7. A washer and dryer in my house - I don't have to tote my laundry to a laundromat, or scrounge quarters, or tote a 2-year old with me. I get to stay in the comfort of my house, and do dozens of other tasks just waiting on the beeps and buzzers that tell me its time to to rotate or fold!
8. The computer and internet. Yesterday and today I searched for recipes, worked on church projects, got in touch with family, paid bills, worked on our tax return, wrote in my journal, weighed in on a city council issue, correlated with my Primary presidency, and heard snippets from the lives of dozens of friends. All in a matter of hours, all from my nice comfy leather office chair in my living room. Crazy amazing when you take 2 steps back and remember this didn't exist not so long ago.
9. Ross Dress-4-Less. This is the only way I can keep my family dressed in good quality, durable clothes on a single income budget ($70 jeans for $13! wahoo!)
10. General Conference report. Love, love, love my conference report. Nothing lifts my spirits and my perspective faster.
11. My husband. He is patient, helpful, kind, observant, diligent, willing, funny, and full of hope and faith. These are the attributes of true love.
12. Warm beds and hot showers. It's been frigid all week.

That's it for now. There's much, much more - including some of the obvious answers - but this is what stuck with me today.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

LOVE ross. love it. not so much for the kids (at their age, target's clearance is still cheaper) but for me! i can't believe there was a time i paid major bucks for clothes!

i'm grateful for YOU. i hope we can hang out soon.

Angela said...

So fun to see a new post on your blog. I hope you are feeling uplifted soon. We had Laura and Steve over for dinner Wednesday night. It was great to connect. We're crossing our fingers that they move here this summer.

Claudia and Glenn Walker said...

Lisa you are totally right. I have a cold and with the preggo thing it's getting worst but this morning I thought how bless we are that we have a warm house to live. I started to count my blessing and it surely cheer me up a lot. Then I checked your fb and there you are with this beautiful hymn. Thans for posting again:)